Located in the beautiful Derwent Valley, Tasmania



Monday, October 18, 2010

hand embroidered linen cushions

My mum made these gorgeous linen cushions for my birthday. I nearly cried with delight, and at the thought of how many hours she must have put into them! The first has the words "Wabi Sabi" - the Japanese aesthetic centred on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent and incomplete" (Wikepedia). Or, as Mum stitched it - perfect imperfection!
The next cushion reads "A touch of whimsy is something every home should have", a line I read in a magazine recently. This concept struck a cord with me. Mum remembered and embroidered it onto a cushion.
And the last cushion "Je ne sais quoi - a certain panache" speaks of an intangible quality that makes something distinctive or attractive. I love all these cushions, I cannot really pick a favourite. They will be something I will treasure forever.

5 comments:

  1. Wow what a beautiful gift. They are truly lovely cushions, those sayings are gorgeous. Your mum is very talented.

    Hope you are having a good week xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wowwwwww...i like these cushions......lovely !!....nice that you share them with us.....happy week darling......love love love Ria...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am very lucky...and my mum is extremely talented. She always amazes me what she can do. Happy week to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, how beautiful and such a labor of love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a shop only open on farmers market days with similar tastes and you have inspired me even more!!!!! My brother found this site and I own a share of the limestone house with him, Thankyou Rosemary

    ReplyDelete