Located in the beautiful Derwent Valley, Tasmania



Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Inspiring Living Spaces

As I am sitting in my living room, stripped bare right down to the concrete floor (we are awaiting our French oak flooring installation) I can't help but feel excited about the prospect of a new living space to decorate. My first point of call is to flick through my favourite interiors book by Belgium antiques dealer and designer, Axel Vervoordt, "Timeless Interiors". And timeless it must be as his rooms always look very 'now'... I love his use of slip covered chairs and the ottomans with cushions atop. It all looks so comfortable.
And he is never afraid to have a long sofa in a room, often paired with single slip-covered armchairs in contrasting linens. And the coffee table in this Belgium home is constructed from concrete blocks and a plank of timber.
This room is not by Vervoordt but how gorgeous is that French settee? And the garden table works well, which is good for me because I plan to put mine in our newly renovated living room. Maybe not in the middle like this, but at the end of the sofa as it will be a good height.
The parquet floor is divine as is the potted plant. Note the French walnut arm chair to the right...we bought one very similar on our last buying trip but it was one of the items that didn't fit into the container. We are very sorry indeed. It will be in our next load, though.
I really like the soft coloured floor rug in this living room. I will post a before and after photo upon completion of our room. I am not sure when that will be, hopefully sooner rather than later!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your living room reveal especially after these inspiration photos. Very interested in the French oak flooring.
    Lynette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French oak flooring will extend right through and into our kitchen. I am very excited. It has a limewashed finish.

    ReplyDelete